The initial list for the Freshman Class of Nominees for inclusion in the Album Cover Hall of Fame includes the designers, illustrators and photographers who created the principal images used on record album covers released between the years of 1960 to 1975. We’ve also included nominees for other awards for singular achievements in the area, along with the record labels and musical acts that were strong proponents of the art of the album cover.
Finally, to help illustrate that the modern album cover came as the result of many years of development – in both the physical packaging and the artwork that adorned it – we thought that it would be important to honor those individuals whose influence early on left an indelible mark on album cover design and art going forward, and so we created the Early Influencers category to both introduce and honor these trend-setting efforts.
- Album Cover Photographers
- Album Cover Illustrators (inc. those specializing in logos and typography)
- Album Cover Designers/Art Directors
- Individual Achievement Awards (given to people who’ve stepped out of their regular areas of expertise to create a notable record cover).
- Early Influencers
- Record Labels (those that best promoted the art of the album cover)
- Musical Acts with a long-standing commitment to great Album Cover imagery