Scholars and fans of “the art of the album cover” have garnered their resources to establish the Album Cover Art Hall of Fame Committee, whose goal through the establishment of this Hall of Fame is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact in the ongoing development and advancement of rock and roll album cover-related design, illustration and photography by inducting them into this Hall of Fame.
After our initial Class of 2012 Inductees have been honored – with the process having begun in 2010 and the voting for our “Freshman Class” having been completed in September - the Committee will continue the process each year by selecting nominees in each of the featured categories for consideration by a voting body consisting of experts in the fields of packaging design, illustration, photography and music product marketing, and those nominees that receive the most total votes in their respective categories will be inducted. Qualified individuals become eligible for induction 10 years after the publication of their first record album, CD, DVD or digital album cover image.
Criteria for nominations each category vary (based on the technical and artistic differences inherent in each category), but the overall focus will be based on the influence and substance of the nominees’ contributions to the promotion and sale of recorded rock and roll music products.
Initial Principal Categories
- Album Cover Photographers
- Album Cover Illustrators (inc. those specializing in logos and typography)
- Album Cover Designers/Art Directors
- Individual Achievement Awards (given to people who’ve stepped out of their regular areas of expertise to create a notable record cover).
- Early Influencers
- Record Labels (those that best promoted the art of the album cover)
- Musical Acts with a long-standing commitment to great Album Cover imagery
To see the list of this year’s Nominees, please continue on to the Nominee intro page.
To learn more about the people we’ve asked to help us select our Nominees and Inductees, please visit our page on this topic.